Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Electric help please

On Friday, October 31, 2014 12:23:52 AM UTC-4, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 10/30/2014 10:10 AM, wrote:
A friend of mine here on Whidbey Island has a welding business. It's
pretty new, only a few years now. Anyway, he called me yesterday with
an electrical problem. Puget Sound Energy (PSE) has had complaints
from neighbors about voltage spikes or drops, my friend wasn't clear
on this, but they showed him a graph which I have yet to see. The
solution PSE is proposing is a new xmfr at the pole. PSE told my
friend the problem is because of the hard starting welder. The welder
is an older xmfr type machine with lots of copper. At full load it is
rated at 11 kw, which is about 46 amps. But I don't know what the
current spkies to when he first steps on the pedal. The machine is now
wired for single phase but can be wired for three phase. What he wants
to know is if he ran the welder from a Rotary Phase Converter would
the current spikes and voltage drops be less. I don't know. I also
don't know if there is a way besides my friend paying thousands for
PSE to install a new xmfr on the pole for this situation to be
ameliorated. He can't afford at this time for a new welder with a
softer start setting. Besides, the hard fast start means his employee
can make more welds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

Eric,
I had to go look up the contract, but Pacific Power replaced a
residential shared transformer for me so I could have 200 amp service.
The transformer is shared by three residences. The others did not pay
anything.

My cost was $1550, total to the power company.

Your friend needs to get the power company to give him a firm number for
a transformer replacement.

Its best to contact the welder manufacturer (if they are still around). They've dealt with this issue in his area before. The local power company might be giving you the more expensive route. Its in the welding manufacturer to give you the cheapest option (for service and other needed devices).

If that manufacturer is no longer around, contact a similar manufacturer of modern welders. Pretend like you are going to buy a new welder from them using the specs that you actually are on now. They'll probably tell you what additional devices you should install (any 60 amp breakers, xfmrs, sub-panels, converters, inverters, freq drives, etc...) in preparation for your purchase of one of their welder set-ups.

The welding manufacturer might give you the lowest cost for other needed devices/service not made by their welding manufacturing. They might even help to organize.