Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default "Poverty cycle" for businesses

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:30:22 -0500, Ignoramus28704
wrote:

We all have heard of "poverty cycle", where people are trapped in low
paying jobs, have to work a lot just to make ends meet, have no time
for education, start drinking on top of that etc.

This poverty cycle is real, and while it is possible to get out of it,
it takes a real feat and a superhuman effort.

What I want to bring up is that there is an analogy of poverty cycle
for businesses. This is includes one-man businesses, just as well as
larger companies. The poverty cycle for a company is being trapped
in a low return, high hassle business. Similar problems accompany
companies in poverty, such lack of funds to improve, lack of time to
think about doing things differently, being unable to reject
undesirable clients, etc.

A big effort needs to be made to stay out of the business poverty
cycle. Getting out of it, may be completely impossible (unlike for
people).

Interesting thoughts, Ig. And I'm sure there's a lot of truth in it. A
lot of small businesses are trapped, or trap themselves, in a
"survival" cycle that's hard to escape.

I might point out that there is help for those people. I've seen a
couple of small businesses helped by the "Geriatric Squad," the
retired businessmen and women to volunteer for the SBA-sponsored state
small-business help groups. It varies by state, but the one here in NJ
has been a big help to a lot of people. They look at your business and
tell you what you need to do.

They're worth it. They've been there, and they'll give an objective
view of what's wrong, or what can be done.

Even a successful business can get some free "consultation" from these
people.

--
Ed Huntrress