Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Too cold? Not enough stirring? Or something else?

wrote:

I spotted this trend at least 15 years back, and realized that
"finishing" also known as "paintin", "stainin" and "varnishin" is
widely
viewed as a voodoo art.

"dadiOH" wrote:

I agree with all you wrote but snipped most in the interest of
brevity.

It seems to me that the manufacturers themselves are at least
partially responsible ofr the "voodoo art" concept. Take spar
varnish for one example...thanks mostly to the manufacturers, the
average Joe thinks spar varnish is a superior, harder varnish. Not
true. Heck, I don't even know if what is labled as such IS spar
varnish. I do know that it isn't easy to find a plain old alkyd
one.

Amen.

Lew

Teak oil is another. Oil FROM teak? Nope. Oil FOR teak?
Sure...and for any other wood.

Minwax's Polycrylic is another. Is it multiple acrylics?
Polyurethane + acrylic? I won't even get into the puffery by many
such as "rock hard".

I would like to know what things are without having to delve into
the MSDS/Tech sheets.

--

dadiOH