Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electric help please

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:47:56 PM UTC-4, Ned Simmons wrote:

You might look into power factor correction caps for the welder.
There's plenty of misinformation about this online without my adding
to it, but my understanding is that a welder with PF correction will
draw more current at idle, but less under load. Not sure what it'll
do, if anything, about surges.

I think your understanding is wrong. With power factor correction the current at idle will be less. Under load it will also be less, but the difference may be almost unmeasureable.

But you are right. Correcting the power factor may make things enough better that he will not have to do anything else.

Dan

-
Ned Simmons