Humbletarotstar

Default Network, Mains, Alarm and CCTV from the house to the garage

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:03:10 -0000, "Sparks" wrote:

What sort of total load on the mains?

no more then 20A - Why does this matter, I didn't ask about cable ratings
here...

Coz you might get away with Hi-Tuf rather than SWA. And you will at
20A, but it'll need conduiting.

What, in terms of alarm? One detector? Two? Just contacts?

a LIM from a Scantronic 9500 (4 wires), with a local PSU for detectors, and
bell box hold off
+ve trigger (1)
+ve for the strobe (1)

How many cameras?
Is the remainder of the system conventional, or is it a first camera?

4 cameras all connecting to an existing multipler in the house (I already
have three cameras connected to this via Co-Ax)

I see.

CAT 5.....

What about it?

Loud thinking, about it.

I was thinking out whtehr or not CAT5 was viable for what you were
trying to achieve - but I'd say not based on what you want to do.....

The CCTV part, initially was going to be 6 lengths of RG59, however I

have
heard you can run CCTV over UTP?

Why six lengths?

4 cameras, one feed back for a monitor, and one spare - why do you ask?

.....unless money is not the object in this. IP cameras are an option
if money isn't an issue - either by means of a video server or using
IP Cams with built in servers. Axis Communications do a fairly basic
IP Camera for about £200 or so, but you'll be getting into thousands
if you go for a "decent" IP cam or video server.

I'd stick with co-ax.

You *can* run video over UTP, subject to criteria being met, such as
ground looping.

I tried connecting a camera directly to a pair in some CAT5e, and the
picture was not good, not awful, but Co-Ax was a lot better.

As for UTP, the least you'll need for acceptable quality is a UTP
launcher and the associated "other end". You can, of course, buy UTP
cameras....

There are other solutions too, dependant upon your answers above.

Can I - would be a lot cheaper on the cable if I can!

Don't know - depends is the only honest answer anyone can give you on
the info you've given so far.

If I can, can I run four cameras down one four pair cable?

What sort of distance - I don't know your garden, or where your garage
is :-)

The cable from, from the multiplexer would be approbamatly 35 Meters

Stick with the co-ax.

My own personal notion would be as I say below, running mains cable -
probably 4 core, 10mm SWA, at a depth of about 3 feet, backfilling
about a foot, then running co-ax in a conduit, backfilling about nine
more inches and then running alarm and CAT5 in conduit.