Maxprop

Default Conover lathes

"James E Gaydos" wrote in message
I was very sorry to see Conover Lathes come to an end.
Alan Stytler (past co. president )said they were unable
to be competitive with some of the newer lathes on the
market.
One thing to remember, The Conover was a different breed of lathe.
This lathe was designed, buy making your own bed,
to be most any length, up to 14 feet or longer between centers.
It was and is a very fine machine. I belive it was designed to be
more of an Architectural turning lathe, then a bowl lathe.
Although it works fine as both.
The headstock can be placed at either end of the bed.
With the headstock on the right side of the bed, one could turn a
40" diameter piece, using a floor stand toolrest.
It is a standerd 16" swing, but could be made up to 20" with riser blocks.
I'm happy with mine, there are some things that could have been made

different.
The cast iron is very high quality, 1.5" X 8 TPI spindle with adjustable
Timpkin Roller bearings.
Oh, Buy the way, I have one of the last ones made. Jim
CONOVER LIVES (BG)

A few days ago I spoke with a lady who turns on a Conover. She wouldn't
trade it for anything else. I was unaware that Ernie had produced lathes
prior to chatting with her. So naturally I investigated, and discovered
they were out of business. I hope to see one in the flesh (iron?) some day.

Max