Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default Stainless rust removal redux

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:03:35 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:34:10 -0500
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

Use oxalic acid. It'll remove the rust spots with minimal disturbance to
the surface.

Bar Keepers Friend main ingredient is oxalic acid. Good source? or is
there a better one?

Its most common use is as a wood bleach.
If you check the deck cleaners for wooden decks it is pretty much Oxalic
acid.

Savogran sells 1lb tubs of granular for $6 at hardware stores.

Paul K. Dickman

We used to use that stuff on personal clothes in the mag cell. The
little bit of chlorine that would leak out eventually ended up as
hydrochloric acid on the metal frame of the building, so any
condensation drips would stain your clothing. That's why I didn't go
on the operating floor without putting on the mag suit (fire retardent
cotton overalls and jumper, metatarsal guard boots, and hard hat with
face shield). Oxalic would fix those stains.

Also used it once on a white cotton sweater my sister brought home
from Egypt and made the mistake of washing in my folks' iron laden
water. Nice even light rust shade.

Good luck.

Pete Keillor