Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless rust removal redux

On Monday, October 27, 2014 2:21:07 PM UTC-4, Carl Ijames wrote:
Unfortunately, citric acid doesn't remove rust. It would be a great last
step to repassivate everything after whatever else you do.

I am under the impression that citric acid does remove rust.

But one test is worth a thousand words. So I would recommend that you first try citric acid on some ordinary rusty steel and see if you think it removes rust. Then on some stainless with rust spots if you can find some.

You can find food grade citric acid at Tractor Supply. It is used to clean stainless tubing in milking systems.

Dan