Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Too cold? Not enough stirring? Or something else?

Mike Marlow wrote:

That though does not
apply to the OP's question about an oily feel. I can't figure
out
how he's
getting that - it's just not what one would expect from poly. If
were
him, I'd scuff it down and re-apply with proper stirring.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

That would be step two. Step one is to put a coat on a scrap of
wood Let it dry, sand, recoat as you did on the original. If it
is
properly dried, I'd think operator error on the first try. If it
is
oily, I'd think possibly something wrong with the poly. Very odd
that would happen though.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

One of the reasons I left Ohio was to get away from weather
problems like this.

The only way to do it was down in the heated basement, apply
a coat and allow a week to cure between coats and learning
to live with the stink.

Based on what I read so far, it's time to go to Goodwill and buy
a bag of rags, then to HD for a gallon of denatured alcohol.

Wipe as much of the defective material as possible, then sand
out starting with 150 grit using the +/- 45 degree bias method.

When finished sanding, WAIT a WEEK before applying new
material that has been prepared like Bond's martini.

(Don't bruise it.)grin

Wipe the surface down one final time before applying new finish.

And now the tough part, keep the piece INSIDE and learn
to live with the stink while it dries.

After the 2nd or 3rd day, the stink won't be so bad.

DAMHIKT.

Lew

"woodchucker" wrote:

Denatured alcohol won't put a dent in poly..
I'm not sure about acetone..

If it won't attack "weakened" poly, then it's acetone or xylene time.

Lew