Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default House rewiring

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 18:06:04 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 25/10/2014 19:42, rick wrote:
On 21/10/2014 20:13, Uncle Peter wrote:
A woman just told me she had her house rewired because it hadn't been
done for 30 years. Have you ever bothered? I mean if it works, why not
just leave it? Wire doesn't rot.

round pin plugs, lead sheathed cable, paper insulated or some other
museum piece would make you want to consider rewiring.
PVC insulated wiring installed correctly certainly good for more than 30
years.

Worth keeping in mind that there are separate motivations for a rewire.
Knackered cable etc is certainly one, but a install that does not meet
the needs or patterns of modern usage could equally be another, evn if
the cable is in perfect health.

Adding a few sockets hardly needs a rewire. Just a few spurs. It's doubtful anyone would need more than 30A on a socket ring.

--
How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't grow in it?