Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Too cold? Not enough stirring? Or something else?

On Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:12:16 PM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:

In my experience poly smells for a while. It seems that
whatever formula Minwax is using now is worse than it was
10 or so years ago, too.

The formula was changed to accommodate the newer VOC concerns.

In any event, my first thought would be to just leave it
awhile - the smell will probably go away in a week or so.

I agree with John. Just let it sit a good while.

*First coat applied on raw wood: Some has soaked in, a bit, so it would take longer to dry, than what the can says. Would have been good to let it dry overnight. Despite the short time before recoating, it should cure, properly, after a good week.

So, until then, the penalty assessed is: Your son sleeps with Mom and you sleep on the couch!

Sonny