Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default Too cold? Not enough stirring? Or something else?

wrote in
:

I'm brand new here. This forum was recommended by a friend. I'm an
avid DIY-er but finishes are not my specialty.

The problem:
I built a steam radiator cover (out of red oak) for my 8mth old son's
room (turned out great). The minwax oil based fast drying semigloss
polyurethane has not dried properly and is giving off a smell as the
radiator heats up. I'm concerned about safety (fumes) so I have
removed the cover until I can fix the problem.

In my experience poly smells for a while. It seems that
whatever formula Minwax is using now is worse than it was
10 or so years ago, too.

In any event, my first thought would be to just leave it
awhile - the smell will probably go away in a week or so.

My second thought is, you could try sealing it with shellac.

FWIW, shellac is a non-toxic finish (they coat M&Ms with it),
so if you're making other kid-stuff that needs a finish you
might consider it. Altho toys and things like that are
generally best left bare wood.

John