Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote
Theo Markettos wrote

"We have large stores full of rubbish that nobody
wants to buy, so we can make no money."

There was a suggestion that younger householders are less keen on DIY.

Young houueholders a few in number because they can't
afford to become householders. If you end up renting yuo
arent; realyl allowd to do any major DIY.

But you should also see more who buy a run down
dump and who can't afford to do anything but DIY
to turn it into something much more decent to live in.

Run down dumps are too expensive to DIY,

Bull****.

the trade by them up.

Anyone is free to buy one too.

ofm course perhaps yuo can find a run down
dump that's affordable then good luck.

They are sure to be cheaper than the
same place that isnt run down, stupid.

http://www.propertyrenovate.com/
here's a run down property
Price: £649,950
Bedrooms: 3
Area: Chiswick
Type: Terrace

**** all of the run down dumps are priced at anything like that.

Well you could chnage a plug on a lead if they
weren't all moulted. Most things can be brought
cheaper than it'd cost to build something similar.

That isnt true of the house itself.

Few people can afford the time or money
or have the skill set to build there own house.

Bull****. There's **** all skill involved.

Is this because they can afford not to, or a
reflection of increasing bureaucratic control?

Both I'd have thought.

I don't, particularly after 2008.

And I don't see much bureaucratic control having
much effect on the most basic DIY like painting etc.

friends in rented accomendation have been
told they aren't allowed to paint or decorate
themselevs they have to get someone in to do it.

Sure, but that aint bureaucratic control, that's the landlord.

Its certainly true that more are more likely to have
their windows replaced professionally than doing
that themselves tho.

Well these all those regulations you have to check for,

There are **** all regulations involved with windows.

and even doing DIY windows might be cheaper

No might be about it, of course it is.

but it's not cheap.

Yes, windows cost more than the same area of wall.