Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Quarter of Homebases to close

The Medway Handyman wrote
Adrian wrote
The Medway Handyman wrote

I find thirty somethings have no DIY skills whatsoever. Not
complaining.

Most can't even assemble flatpack.

Have you considered that the 30-somethings you meet professionally might
not be representative of EVERY 30-something?

Clearly, I am talking about the 30-somethings I meet,

Yes, and we are pointing out that there is a sampling bias involved with
those.

I haven't carried out a nationwide survey. Have you?

That isnt what you were talking about that all of us picked up on.

That age is often the peak of career progression, mixed in with having a
social life and/or small children - so often cash-rich/time-poor.

The comments are usually "I'm hopeless at DIY" or "my partner is hopeless
at DIY".

Its hardly surprising that those who are like that call you in to do the
work.

Not exactly a combination that encourages even the DIY-competent if
there's the option of a cheap and low-hassle tradesman (that's you)
flopping a flyer through the letterbox.

That isn't me. I'm not cheap and I don't flop flyers through letter
boxes. I am hassle free.

But only get called by those who are hopeless
at DIY or physically incapable of doing the DIY etc.

Its hardly surprising that you dont come across too
many 30 somethings that can do it for themselves.