Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default House rewiring

On 22/10/2014 00:39, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:33:04 +0100, GB wrote:

On 21/10/2014 23:57, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:49:01 +0100, GB wrote:

On 21/10/2014 23:30, Uncle Peter wrote:

It appears she did. And when I said I had fuses she was horrified.

I've just had some fuses replaced with trip switches on a house I'm
letting out. It makes life an awful lot simpler.

Why is it simpler? Fuses hardly ever blow, unlike some breakers....

See if you can work it out.

It isn't simpler, that's the answer.

Try this as a thought experiment:

Its 11pm, your tenant has just rang to say they turned the hall light
on, and now all the lights have gone out. You have a choice of talking a
technically clueless person through:

1) Finding the circuit breaker with the popped out button, and telling
them to push it

or

2) pulling out a fuse carrier, finding a screwdriver, finding some fuse
wire, get them to work out which is the 5A, now talk them through wiring
the carrier (in the dark), and replacing the fuse.

I would contest that 1 is far simpler for all involved.

--
Cheers,

John.