Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default House rewiring

On 22/10/2014 11:06, Andrew wrote:
On 21/10/2014 23:50, GB wrote:
On 21/10/2014 23:49, GB wrote:
On 21/10/2014 23:30, Uncle Peter wrote:

It appears she did. And when I said I had fuses she was horrified.

I've just had some fuses replaced with trip switches on a house I'm
letting out. It makes life an awful lot simpler.

I should have said that the trip switches are just a plug in
replacement, so it's very easy to do.

And any professional sparky reading this will say that this is a
pointless exercise, and in the case of the Wylex variety are actually
more dangerous (under certain conditions) than the rewireable fuse they
replaced.

Upgraded earth bonding and RCD's are what saves lives, not silly plug-in
MCBs

It's not intended to save lives. It's intended to stop the tenants
calling me up in the middle of the night when they blow a fuse.

I agree that an RCD would be good. That's the next change on the list.