Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do I have any hope of selling those huge CNC machines

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 21:33:24 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

What's the difference between these and new? How are they obsolete?

Speeds and feeds most likely. The new stuff is scary fast. Also more and
more 5axis to reduce setups.

Right now,"The Kid" is doing nothing but setting up new 5axis machines
and programming. With this and other optimizing things, they are
reducing time to make a part by a factor of five.

If anyone is interested, the limiting factor is finding enough highly
trained help to get the new stuff running right.

The reason they have that limiting factor is the fact that they are
looking for "highly trained" rather than "highly skilled", rather the
same issue throughout industry these days.

Indeed.

Because I dont have a PHD etc etc in my resume...Ive gotten passed
over for maint jobs, despite the fact I know the tricks many of the
guys with the extra letters dont have a clue about.

Nestle Foods keeps advertising locally for maint people..yet cant find
any because HR apparently doesnt have a clue.
As a single example

Shrug

PJ O'Rourke