Maxprop

Default HF 34706 lathe

"Dominic Palazzola" wrote in message

what sharpening system did you end up with? I just came back from

woodcraft
and im leaning towards a low rpm grinder and the one-way system. looks

like
the learning curve is pretty simple.

This was the topic of a thread just completed earlier this week. There are
lots of systems for sharpening, and no doubt some are better than others.
Andrew Hilton gave good advice in recommending a basic 8" grinder with 1"
wide friable aluminum oxide (pink, white, blue, whatever) wheels of 60-80
grit on one side and 120 on the other. I'm currently using a very
inexpensive 6" Delta grinder with those hard gray wheels. They hollow grind
the tools badly, but I've been able to hone them relatively flat with
sanding discs on my disc sander (Andrew apparently uses something similar
for sharpening). The slow, wet wheels, such as the Tormek, are appealing,
but apparently cause rust and a mess, and cost quite a bit more. My point
is, even though my system is probably the worst possible, it does work, and
I've got sharp tools to show for it, even if they aren't pretty. I just
ordered a Delta GR450 grinder today which, with 8" wheels, should lessen the
hollow grinding somewhat.

Do a Google search and read Andrew's answers. Others may have additional
comments.

Max