Dominic Palazzola

Default HF 34706 lathe

what sharpening system did you end up with? I just came back from woodcraft
and im leaning towards a low rpm grinder and the one-way system. looks like
the learning curve is pretty simple.
"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

"Dominic Palazzola" wrote in message

hello again and thanks for the replies so far,
well I finally unpacked the lathe and set it up on a work bench instead

of
on the stand it came with . I cleaned it up with some mineral spirits

and
it
looks pretty good. but I do have some questions regarding turning for

the
first time.
I put a piece of oak between centers to try it out, set the lathe to

lowest
speed and took a the 3/4" gouge and im not to impressed with the results

so
far. should I be running the piece faster? running my thumb over the

gouge
it doesn't feel all that sharp, maybe these tools need to be sharpened.

I bought the same set at HF, but mostly for the purpose of learning to
sharpen HSS tools. They had no edge to speak of out-of-the-box. While my
technique needs LOTS of improvement, I did get two of the gouges in pretty
fair shape, and they cut almost as well as my Sorby gouges of the same
dimensions. Sharpen 'em and experience the *wow factor*.

Max