william kossack

Default HF 34706 lathe

PS a newly purchased chisel is about as sharp as the wit of some of the
posters to this
group

william kossack wrote:

Always sharpen your tools after you buy them before you use them.
They do not come
sharp and ready to use.
Dominic Palazzola wrote:

hello again and thanks for the replies so far,
well I finally unpacked the lathe and set it up on a work bench
instead of
on the stand it came with . I cleaned it up with some mineral spirits
and it
looks pretty good. but I do have some questions regarding turning
for the
first time.
I put a piece of oak between centers to try it out, set the lathe to
lowest
speed and took a the 3/4" gouge and im not to impressed with the
results so
far. should I be running the piece faster? running my thumb over the
gouge
it doesn't feel all that sharp, maybe these tools need to be sharpened.
im thinking today may be a good day to go to woodcraft and get a tape or
book on basic turning and sharpening.
thanks again
Dom

"Dominic Palazzola" wrote in message

hello all,
first post here I just picked up the above lathe on sale for 179.00 and

the

8 piece tool set this week and before I unpack it and set it up I would

like

some input. im new to turning but did some research and from what iv
read
this is the same lathe as the jet and the grizzly is similar but with a

1/2

hp motor.

I know I need to learn how to sharpen the tools but that's all I
know at

the

moment.

thanks