Sparks

Default Network, Mains, Alarm and CCTV from the house to the garage

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
I want to lay mains, Alarm, CCTV and Network (CAT5) from my house to the

top
of the garden (to the garages)

The CCTV part, initially was going to be 6 lengths of RG59, however I

have
heard you can run CCTV over UTP?
Can I - would be a lot cheaper on the cable if I can!
If I can, can I run four cameras down one four pair cable?

When I bury this lot in the ground, I presume I will need at least two
pipes - one for the mains, and one for the rest?
Or can I shove it all down one pipe?

If I do, as I expect, need two pipes, how far apart should they be in

the
ground?
(I dont fancy digging a really wide trench!!)

Thanks!

Sparks...

Mains would be wire armoured cable I take it (?). If so, then spacing
between the alarm signal wires and the power cable wouldn't really matter.
You will need foil sheilded multi-core cable for under the ground anyway

in
this situation.

If the mains was in a pipe, would it need to be armoured?

CCTv would need to be tested for ground loop potential before you go with
UTP transmission, so the RG59 is the best option when in doubt. UTP can
drag interference into the system, in the form of ghosting over the

images,
and this can be prevented by using ground loop filters at the ends of the
UTP, but that also builds up the cost of the system. Stick with the

bundled
RG59 idea, is my advice.

I suppose it is cheap enough!

Alarm wiring needs to be taken in the form of a node, which means taking a
heavier power pair to a node panel in the garage and then wiring back with
ordinary foil sheilded stranded cable to the control panel. This lets you
take any detectors to one power supply point, with battery back up, and

then
all signalling is handled through the multi-core cable. It's voltage drop
you're looking out for here, so a power supply in the garage would work,

but
make sure it has battery back up.

The alarm panel I have is an old Scantronic 9500
It works with branches out of the panel, and these connect to LIM's
there is already some 8 core (not shielded) running in an old pipe (not by
me!)
I am using this, with a PSU in the garage for the various PIR's, along with
the hold off supply for the bell box

I am relaying all this, as I need to run more stuff anyway..