Dominic Palazzola

Default HF 34706 lathe

hey ken thanks, yes it was the 39 dollar set on sale for 29, I am planning
on going to woodcraft this weekend, I believe the store by me sponsors the
Detroit wood turners club or something like that.
thanks again
Dom
"Ken Moon" wrote in message
link.net...
Dominic,
First thing, if you bought their least expensive tool set (usually around
$12.00), then take it back to HF, and exchange for their high speed steel
set (about $35.00). Or if you'd like, keep the set you got and use them

for
sharpening practice until you get the basics of sharpening down, then get
the high speed steel set.That plus a 3/8 or 1/2 inch bowl gouge will give
you a good basic set that you can add to as your requirements dictate.

Then go to Woodcraft or similar store and look through their woodturning
books. What you want to look for are the ones on basic turning.

Personally,
I like the ones by Richard Raffan, but Keith Rowley, Dale Nish, Ernie
Conover, and others are recommended by various members of this group. Pick
one and read it cover to cover, then go out to practice what you think you
read, then go back and re-read some more. Study the pictures, angles, body
positions, etc. Then go to the American Association of Woodturners site,
www.woodturner.org/locals/aawlocal.cfm to see if there is a local club in
your area. If so, go to a meeting, tell them you're a beginner and you'll
get more offers to help than you can take.

As far as the lathe you bought, it's probably the best lathe per dollar

that
you can buy. It's not a great one, but it is adequate for a beginning
turner. A lot of people started either with it or the Sears monotube, and
after learning more about turning, were able to make an informed decision
about a better machine. Good luck.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX
=================================

"Dominic Palazzola" wrote in message
hello all,
first post here I just picked up the above lathe on sale for 179.00 and

the
8 piece tool set this week and before I unpack it and set it up I would

like
some input. im new to turning but did some research and from what iv

read
this is the same lathe as the jet and the grizzly is similar but with a

1/2
hp motor.

I know I need to learn how to sharpen the tools but that's all I know at

the
moment.

thanks
Dom