Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Time Will Tell

On Friday, October 17, 2014 8:42:09 PM UTC-5, Dave in Texas wrote:

Ditto that. Three or four years back I spent $72 for two Primecell

rebuilds for a 12v Mikita impact driver. I didn't need the tool right away

but wanted to have the availability if I needed. Several months passed

before I had that need. The Primecell rebuilds wouldn't even take a charge.

I remember Leon's post about that from some years back. I had a Makita battery rebuilt here in town by a company that specializes in rebuilt batteries for older tools, but will do newer ones as well. They rebuilt my battery for my beloved Makita 14.4v monster, and it worked great. However, they went out of business.

One of the reasons I finally decided on the Ryobi was because of the lack of ability to find good rebuilds along with the my problem of putting a $90 battery in an 8 year old drill. Looking at the Ryobi, it came with two batteries (granted, low milliamp models) but they recharge in 30 minutes. They also come with a three year battery warranty along with the rest of the tool. If lost, they can be replaced with an exact match for $35. You can also buy up the battery amperage and get much stronger batteries for a few dollars more.

After trying out the drill and driving a hundred or so screws with no pilot hole, I think this will be fine for me. The drill wasn't close to breathing hard. Even as a contractor, I don't drill more than a hundred holes or drive more than a hundred screws all at once very often. So I don't have the huge battery needs a lot of guys do. And if I did, the other battery is charged and waiting be used, and another fully charge battery is only 30 minutes away.

I am totally off any rebuilds for now. If my tool failed when using it on a job and the failure was due me being a little too tight with a buck by buying a rebuild I would be really ****ed off myself.

Robert