Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Time Will Tell

On 10/17/2014 3:00 PM, wrote:
Lew, we are taking the trip on the RYOBI drill bits together. When I bought the drill, I decided to set it up as a kit since there was room in the bag. So the RYOBI drill/driver set also has RYOBI drill bits to go along with it. I hate looking for bits, etc., as when I am ready to go, ..I am ready to go!..

So indexes, while they don't have usually have the best quality bits in them, keep the bit organized, all in one place, and protect themselves from rubbing around on one another to dull the bits while in transport or in the truck.

I have so far found the bits to be satisfactory as I have never needed numbered drills as 90% of my work is woodwork, and my metal work is roof flashing and other water diverting fabrication that requires only 1/8" drill for rivets. Most of the screws I use on my metal work are self tapping, so not a lot of metal drilling these days.

So the RYOBI bits have worked well so far. I have drilled a lot of wood, plastic, and other soft stuff and a few smaller holes in metal with them. They work just fine. I did drill some 3/16 soft steel plate holes a while back an the bits did fine, using pneumatic nail gun oil as a lubricant. Like everyone else, I would rather have a professional grade index from BluMol, Lennox and the like, but this is 1/5 the cost and does what I need for now.

The only numbered bits I have these days are in the little case with my tap and die set that I use once every ten years.

Since I drill a lot of pilot holes for wood screws and nails, I am not that interested in the exact bit to be used. I still use the same old method I was taught, and that was to match a bit to the screw that allowed you to see the entire thread of the screw, but no the shaft itself (unless fastening soft wood). With that in mind, I have bought a grab bag of resharpened drill bits from HF before, and they were as good as any bits I have ever bought, period.

They are from some manufacturing industry, maybe event their own, and the come really sharp, properly along the length of the shaft as well, and straight. These bags of bits aren't always available and when I have found them they come in all lengths, sizes and twist variations. Perfect for wood working. They aren't marked with sizes (I don't need that) but are very finely ground and finished. They sell a big bag of bits covered in oil that has about 25 to 30 bits or so for $7. They are all smaller sizes like 3 3/32nds to about 5/16ths, and no guarantee which sizes you get. They also have a jumbo size, which only has a few really large bits in them, but they are too large for my wood working needs.

Robert

I have never seen those at HF. But they are 1 hour away in every
direction so I don't get there that often.

Drill bits are the type of thing that I can resharpen pretty good,
better than most new bits. The only thing I need new ones for are the
finer bits that break.. I try buying the jobber lots of the smaller bits.

--
Jeff