Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Should I tell the police?

On 10/15/2014 1:38 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
Wow! I sincerely hope it is as you envision, and you're truly helping.
It is very sad that police have instilled so much distrust. Here's a
case of, "I would call a friend in the department and talk to him/her."
Do you know anybody with close ties? I would also be very reluctant to
say anything 'generically'. I've seen people who wish to help by giving
eye witness statements end up coming under scrutiny as the perp!! And if
you knew them, anyone would see that was ridiculous. The police had no
discernment and should have known better.

Do you have a good relationship with your auto insurance rep? If so,
they have access to all kinds of information, they don't have to tell
you any details, but confirm any information for you without breaching
any of their confidentiality. It would be nice to find out the guy just
parked his car there, so he wouldn't have to pay airport parking, or
such. Envision the guy returning at 2am to pick up his car and now he
won't find the tire flat.

First, Micky sounds like a caring and thoughtful fellow.

In NY, the insurance guy or two I've talked to can get
DMV information from license plate number. Costs several
dollars per lookup. Six or eight, or some thing like that.
If you go to insurance agent, please plan to reimburse the
cost. If they will do it, at all, for a "non work related"
moment.

In the couple times I've contacted police or other govt
agencies, I find they seldom do what the citizen asks.
There is always some "well, policy says to...." and then
they do some thing you'd wished they would not. I don't
know where Micky is, or what the local policy. But, no,
I would not tell them where the car is. That's just me.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus