Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default OT Should I tell the police?

On 10/15/2014 2:32 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 01:06:18 -0400, micky
wrote:

OT Should I tell the police?

About three or four weeks ago, I saw a sticker on the rear window of a
car parked in my n'hood, the parking lot of a townhouse n'hood, saying
it would be towed away because it had a flat tire. No deadline was
given. The HOA does this, aiui, only if someone has complained. Of
course we have more than our share** of petty people who would complain.

**Unless there are so many petty people in the world that we have no
more than our share.

So I pumped his tire up.

Today I pumped it up again, which means the leak is slow.

The car is in excellent condition, has no dents or scratches, the paint
is perfect, it's not dirty, and looks very nice. Valid plates. I
assume someone went on vacation and will start driving it again when he
gets back.

OTOH, most people don't take three week vacations and conceivably, the
car was stolen and left here, parked properly with the door locked.
(well, I haven't tried the door. I just assume it's locked) If it's
stolen, the real owner should get it back before he buys another car.

So I called the police and just wanted them to run the plate, and if
they said it was stolen, I'd tell them where they or the owner can come
and get it.

But the cop wants me to tell him where it is, so they can "roll by and
look at it", and he says they won't do anything if there isn't a
problem.

What problem could there be except that the owner reported it stolen?**
If they tell me that I'll believe them and I'll tell them where it is.
But if it's not stolen, I DON'T WANT TO CAUSE TROUBLE FOR THE OWNER, and
the police, for all the good they do, are also very good at causing
trouble. After all, I'm the one pumping up the tire so it won't be
towed away.

**One idea, it could have the wrong plates on it, but we could probably
verify that on the phone too. The DMV records show the make. Do they
also show the model and color? I think so. If the plates don't match
the make or model or color, then too I would tell them where the car is.

Would you tell the police where it is before they told you it was stolen
or misplated?

I would check the doors. If they are locked it seems unlikely it is
stolen, why would thieves bother to lock it. If it is unlocked look
in the glove box for the registration to get the owners name. I don't
think you can be arrested for getting in an unlocked car. If you can
get the name you might be able to track them down and find out what's
up. If the car is legally parked and the tire is not flat when the
police come by I think you'd be ok calling them and asking them to
check it out but see if the plates look like the registration is up to
date. In some places a car with expired registration will get towed
if it's left parked more then some limited amount of time on a public
street.

I never touch anyone's car.
Many years ago I saw the lights on in an open convertible at night in a
bar parking lot. Went to switch them off and as I did the drunken owner
came out and punched me. This was over 50 years ago but I learned a
life lesson. Never touch a strangers car.
No problem in calling police. That's what they are for.