Steve Worcester

Default Beall buffing system for lighter wood

Skip the Tripoli. Sand to a higher grit and then go to the white diamond and
then wax.

--
Steve Worcester
www.turningwood.com

"william kossack" wrote in message
I've done several bowls lately using lighter wood and it has gotten me
to thinking about the beall buffing system

One bowl was from a small piece of hackberry from a tree that died where
I work. I managed to get a couple logs
from the tree. The bowl turned out nice in general with some
interesting worm holes but a big problem was caused by the color of the
Tripoli used in the first step. I noticed that the Tripoli got into the
worm holes and into small pores in the wood. I had a dickens of a time
cleaning it out and even then some of the color remained behind.

Another bowl was from a piece of aspen and I had similar problems with
the color of the Tripoli bar.

There are two solutions as I can see. Either I should apply some other
finish first to fill the voids or find a substitute for the Tripoli that
is a lighter color.