Peter Teubel

Default Beall buffing system for lighter wood

Woodcraft sells 3" Wave discs up to 800 grit.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:31:57 GMT, william kossack wrote:

I keep on learning. I was stopping at 240 because that is the finest
grit I could find for my sanding disk pads.

OK, I'm puzzled. Why then do places like woodcraft or rocklers carry
nothing above 240 in hook loop
sanding disks or paper?

I found some 400 online. For the 'New Wave Disks' the kits only go up
to 320 but some 400 and higher is shown. None of these finer grits are
available at the Denver Store. Most hardware stores like Home Depot
carry only up to about 240 grit sandpaper.

Do you guys buy these sanding disk rigs? What do you buy and where?

James Barley wrote:

I would think by "higher grit" Andrew is suggesting grits above 400, such as
600-1000.
200-240 grit is where a lot of turners start out at.
Another point worth mentioning is, I don't think the Beal buffing system was
ever meant to be used as a substitute for good sanding technique.
Sanding wet wood can be aided by surface drying the piece, such as with a
"hair dryer".

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com