James Barley

Default Beall buffing system for lighter wood

I would think by "higher grit" Andrew is suggesting grits above 400, such as
600-1000.
200-240 grit is where a lot of turners start out at.
Another point worth mentioning is, I don't think the Beal buffing system was
ever meant to be used as a substitute for good sanding technique.
Sanding wet wood can be aided by surface drying the piece, such as with a
"hair dryer".

--
James Barley
www.members.shaw.ca/jbarley

"william kossack" wrote in message
I'm sanding up to 240 now but the wood has been wet and I wonder about
the effectiveness of sanding
with such a fine grit on wet wood.

AHilton wrote:

Another option is to simply sand to a higher grit and skip the Tripoli
altogether.

- Andrew

There are two solutions as I can see. Either I should apply some other
finish first to fill the voids or find a substitute for the Tripoli that
is a lighter color.