Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Time Will Tell

"G. Ross" wrote:

I use a corded 3/8 variable speed for sanding the inside of bowls. I
try to keep the dust blown out of it but in the last 14 years I have
gone through two DeWalts and a BD. In all of them the switch failed,
and a new switch costs nearly as much as another drill. This time I
got a HF for $12. The cord is stiffer than a DeWalt but otherwise
it works well. As you say, time will tell.

Abrasive dust and electric devices just don't coexist very well.

When I was fairing out the boat hull, generated lots of fairing putty
dust which is very abrasive.

The only way to keep the sander/polisher units running was to
spend about 5-10 minutes at the end of the day with a blow gun
blowing the dust out of all the cavities of the sander/polisher.

Even with that maintenance routine, Milwaukee was the only
one that survived.

Lew