Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Time Will Tell

JohnnyDollar wrote:

The best bang for the buck is Ryobi with Lithium batteries for
under
$100.

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm going to have to make a decision in a couple of months. I have
Panasonic 15.6V that I really like. Nice size and enough power for
anything I do. The batteries, however, are starting to lose charge
fast.

My options:
Brand new drill kit with 2 batteries and charger is $190

Panasonic batteries are $195 for two

Expert Power batteries are $102 for two. (I'm leaning this way)

Rebuild both batteries for $130

All the options cost more than the Ryobi, but I really like the
weight
and balance of the Panasonic. I have an 18V Porter Cable, but it is
my
second choice when I grab a drill.

I also use a Bosch quick change chuck in both of them.

While cost is an issue, staying with your beloved Panasonic
is what is driving your evaluation process.

Since you will be paying a price premium regardless of your
decision, buying a new drill for $190 offers you several added
benefits, especially if the new batteries are L-Ion.

You will be able to get "drill" and "drive" dedicated units,
no quick change chuck req'd.

You get a back up charger.

Most of all, you will be happy staying with a unit you like.

Have fun.

Lew