Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Time Will Tell

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Having been visited by members of the sticky finger club,
I have been without tools for some time.

Made the decision to get at least a battery powered drill.

Last time around it was an 18 VDC DeWalt complete
with a couple of batteries and a panel saw as a kit
that cost $400-$600.

This time, something for an occasional hole drilling
or screw driving will get the job done.

Time to look at Harbor Freight.

Found a 3/8, 900 RPM 18 VDC drill with a charger
and one battery for $16.99.

I think that's the one someone bought me for a wedding present. It is
better at drilling than driving (screws).
I know that YOU, of all people, are familiar with the expression which
equates to the fact that you get what you pay for...
I wish you luck with it!

Bill

Probably has plastic gears, has only a 90 day guarantee
from Harbor Freight, and a charging system that just plain
sucks.

It requires 3-5 hours to charge.

It has a red and a green pilot light.

The green light indicates it is connected to shore power.

The red light indicates the battery is being charged.

There is no indication when the battery is recharged.

Plug it in and wait 3-5 hours, that's it.

Assuming that the drill will perform, a work around
exists for a charging system.

Buy a 2nd drill.

You now have two (2) batteries (NiCad), a back up charger,
and a 2nd drill which is always handy.

Best of all, you have less than $40 invested.

Not a bad deal, if it works.

Time will tell.

Lew

power is connected