Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Small gas engine question.

On Saturday, October 11, 2014 12:11:03 AM UTC-4, Clare wrote:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 22:54:35 -0400, "Steve W."

wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Want to purchase a vertical shaft small engine (probably HF) to

replace the unobtainable one that goes on my "Deep Rock" well

drilling setup. Some time back there was mention in this group that

these engines will not run without the flywheel effect of lawn mower

blades etc. Is this true. There is no mention of this in the specs.

In my case the only flywheel effect would be some clutch parts

weighing just a few ounces. clarification would be appreciated. Let's

not get off topic with a HF rant. Thanks. Ivan Vegvary

That usually applies to the engines used on the blue light special push

mowers. The ones where they trimmed the flywheels as much as possible

and expect a blade to be there.

The "general purpose" replacements sold at HF and others don't need the

blade as a flywheel.

If you buy one I suggest you drain it, then dump in some solvent and

slosh it around real good. Do that twice to make sure that all the

casting sand/flash/swarf is gone. Then use a good oil to fill it. and go

over all the bolts to make sure they are secure.

They are a decent engine. Most are based on Honda designs.

Like anything made in China, be prepaired to treat it as a

semi-assembled kit, and you are usually OK.

I wouldn't say all that about a time-honored venerable Japanese company like that, but I don't know Clare. Some of the stuff from areas outside of Japan like that is so gosh-awful ramshackle that it is pretty appalling.

To see an imported nail-clipper from the dollar store fall apart after its first use? You don't know whether to laugh or cry. Ever had that happen?