Posted to rec.woodworking

Default You guys were right, I was wrong

A couple of the tile/masonry guys here in town I use have these saws:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hors...saw-69275.html

They love 'em. They take a pretty good licking on the jobs, then ride around in the truck at the end of the day. One of them has had his personal saw for about three years! He likes them as they are cheap enough to buy for his guys to have one when they need it, and weigh in at about 1/3 the price he was paying for his normal saws.

He rated the saw as "pretty good", and the blade as OK. For large tiles, the blade fine, but for smaller ceramics he had chip out on the cuts. So he moved the stock blade to another saw to cut bricks, pavers, rock, and big clay tiles and solved the problem. He put a better blade on his personal saw and hasn't looked back since.

He is a production guy, and it should be noted that if a grout joint, a caulked corner or a piece of trim will hide the minor chipping on the cuts, he lets his guys use the stock blade. I have watched him use this saw on a few jobs, and it whizzes right through big tiles, even with the stock blade.

This could be one of those tools that HF got "right".

Robert