Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd Todd is offline

Default damn that accidental gun discharge

On 10/05/2014 02:31 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 14:09:01 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 10/05/2014 10:56 AM, Oren wrote:
"... accidentally shot himself in the hand while cleaning his gun ..."
is bull crap. How about calling negligence? That's what is was.

Hi Oren,

The first thing I do when I clean my gun(s) is verify
it is unloaded. Remove the magazine, pull back the
slide, look down the magazine hole for light, look down the
barrel for light. I do this regardless of what I think
the state of the weapon is. Then I lay it down on my
table and get to it.

When someone hands me their weapon, I do the same
thing. Sort of like a ritual. They do the same thing
when I hand it back. And I never put my finger in the
trigger guard, unless I intend to pull the trigger.
(Dry firing is bad manners, unless the owner tells
you to go ahead and feel the trigger pull, etc..)

Is it just me, or when you hear "cleaning his gun" do you
wonder what really happened? From your LEO days, do
your alarm bells go off?

-T

If I take a gun, from ANYBODY I examine it. Check it for ammo, make
sure it is empty, not cocked. etc.

I even do it in a retail gun shop. NEVER handle a gun from another
person unless you inspect it right then. Speaking as ALL my training.
Child, Soldier, Armory Officer and retired LEO. "Unloaded guns" can
kill you. Check the gun that is passed to you, period.

What is your take on the "cleaning my gun" excuse. Excuse
or real?