Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to: Making a metal ring spacer

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 19:58:12 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

1948 Pontiac Hydramatic needs a spacer so I can install non-original seals between the transmission output shaft housing and the drive line.

Spacer: Outside diameter 2.017" +0, -0.05: Inside diameter 1.500" +0.05, -0: Width approximately 3/8".

How best to make this on a lathe. Material would be a 3" square of aluminium about 3/4" thick. Have 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks available. Mind you, this is simply a spacer. It will not rotate or have anything moving against it. I suppose I could buy a bunch of large washers, bore them, place on an arbor and reduce the diameter and then stack them up until I reach approximately 3/8".

Any advice, especially lathe procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ivan Vegvary

I'd grab an aluminum rigid conduit coupling, chuck it into the 3 jaw,
turn down the exterior diameter, bore out the inside diameter, and
then part it off. Install in the housing with loctite sleave locker.