Posted to alt.home.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default damn that Julie Bove!

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

SNIP

The new installers said that most of the companies in this area and not just
garage doors but other types of repairs are run by some guy or people in a
call center, not necessarily even in this state. They outsource to foreign
people. The older guy's wife once followed up on a company that outsources
to Mexicans and found their address to be a Dairy Queen.

Every since getting online, I check licenses for any contractors to see if there are outstanding complaints and that are bonded, have insurance and, if they have employees, workers comp. Except for very small chores, I get 3 references - recent and a few years back, and check them all out.

I had a plumber quote me a hot water heater installation that as mostly a rooter guy, and didn't know enough for a water heater job. I ended up getting someone else. Later I called that first one for rooting and he had sold the business and moved out of state 3 years ago. Meanwhile, the guy who bought the company had closed it and was just doing work on the side of his regular job. From what I've seen, a lot of these companies come and go.