Lyn J. Mangiameli

Default Sorby threading tools (a bit long)

Fred Holder wrote:
Having been accused of having a book for sale, I felt perhaps that I should add
a few more comments that may help you. This is an extract from an article that I
wrote on the subject:

I think Andrew tried to indicate that he was joking, but for those less
familiar with Fred, I'd like to point out that Fred has never pushed his
books nor the periodical he publishes (and I regularly write for) More
Woodturning. As I see it, Fred was mentioning the book to point out that
he has given a lot of thought to this topic, and has some credentials in
the area (he has also demonstrated thread making to an international
audience).

I'm not much into making threads, but I have followed the literature.
Fred's book, and the chapter in Mike Darlow's (second, I think) book are
the best available print resources on the techniques and equipment
called for that I have encountered. I find the two presentations
complimentary, rather than redundant, and recommend them to anyone
wishing to regularly engage in thread making.

There are also a couple of good videos on the subject, though they are
more specific to a particular method, while the written materials
present the full range of means by which threading can be accomplished.

Lyn