Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A 'natural experience,' my foot

wrote in message

I have always wanted a car like you see in cohmercials. You know
the ads where there is no traffic on the road except the car being
advertised.

The authenticity is that the car is stuck in traffic or going 15 mph
thru a school zone.

Dan

Driving home from a party at 3AM is like that but the cops have no one
but me to draw their attention, so I stay close to the speed limit.

3AM is when the bars in Heidelberg closed. I always made next
morning's formation and didn't look any worse than the rest of the
unit, since we had all been out together. I had the advantage of
college practice in how to function after an all-nighter.

Once I rode my motorcycle around Boston after Sat/Sun midnight on a
3-day weekend to familiarize myself with its jumble of one-way
streets. I very nearly had the city all to myself. Among other things
I learned to buy saddlebags and always carry rain gear, because on the
highway rain feels like a shower of gravel.

I was on second shift for a while in Army electronics school at Ft
Monmouth, NJ. After getting out at 11PM I rode my bicycle to and along
the utterly deserted beach. Many nights I didn't see a single car.
What traffic there is that late appears to be TV morning show staff
and hospital shift changes.

-jsw