Owen Lowe

Default Well reasoned and stated. NM Lyn

In article .net,
"Lyn J. Mangiameli" wrote:

A man of few words, eh Lyn?

Joe Fleming wrote:

SNIP
For a beginner, I recommend that they use the tools for the designations as
they are named. As you learn about tool design: strengths and weaknesses,
you can start to safely relax the operating range limits that are
customarily placed on these tools. I also recommend that new turners do not
allow their own fugality to prevent them from buying tools to accomplish
their goals. If you are too cheap to buy the appropriate tool, your
frugality will "force" you out of the customary sweet spots for your tools
and potentially into dangerous situations.

On the flip side, my experience is that most people gain this experience
through trial and error as well as formal training/education. In other
words, the more you know, the cheaper you can be because you are making
intelligent decisions in regard to tool usage.

Joe, these two paragraphs are excellent comments and advice. It's only
after having a knowledge of the rotational forces and various aspects of
removing wood can one safely and confidently experiment with
non-traditional methods and tool use.

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____