Lyn J. Mangiameli

Default Well reasoned and stated. NM Lyn

Joe Fleming wrote:
All,

Not knowing who the new turners are that are reading this thread, I am
always a little cautious in these kinds of discussions because even though
tools can be used flexibly, there are limits to what they can do safely. To
say, for example, that it is OK to use a roughing gouge on a bowl, is
dangerous for a new turner who doesn't understand the design limitations of
that tool such as how its grind could be dangerous inside a bowl, or how the
tang of the tool can be easily snapped if the tool is used too far over the
toolrest.. Consequently, I would offer this comment.

A turning tool is designed to present a cutting edge or a scraping edge to
the wood in a limited range of orientations, such that the cut/scrape can be
accomplished easily, efficiently and safely. Taken at its core, what does
this mean? It means that every tool has a "sweet spot" of operation. It
also means that many tools can be operated beyond their "normal" range of
operation by compromising a little on the ease, efficiency or the safety.

For example, someone mentioned Raffan using a spindle gouge during bowl
turning. Two comments on this. First, he uses a "shallow fluted" gouge,
not a "spindle" gouge. This is only a naming convention (exact same tool),
but his point is that the tools are flexible if used safely. He also refers
to a "bowl" gouge as a "deep fluted" gouge. Again, he doesn't allow a
naming convention limit the tool's usefulness. Second, when using the
shallow fluted tool, he doesn't over-reach the toolrest such that the wood
gains more leverage than the turner.

For a beginner, I recommend that they use the tools for the designations as
they are named. As you learn about tool design: strengths and weaknesses,
you can start to safely relax the operating range limits that are
customarily placed on these tools. I also recommend that new turners do not
allow their own fugality to prevent them from buying tools to accomplish
their goals. If you are too cheap to buy the appropriate tool, your
frugality will "force" you out of the customary sweet spots for your tools
and potentially into dangerous situations.

On the flip side, my experience is that most people gain this experience
through trial and error as well as formal training/education. In other
words, the more you know, the cheaper you can be because you are making
intelligent decisions in regard to tool usage.

Great discussion!

Joe Fleming - San Diego
===========================

"George" wrote in message

Noticed Arch asking a question on one of the pay-to-play sites, don't know
if he still reads here. If so, Lyn had some remarks (surprise!) on a
random-orbit experiment which should turn up in a "sanding" search. Think
it was one of those European models like Festool with the big price tags

he

commented on.

Then saw a "Norm" thread.

There, in a conflict-free forum, is the old "use the tool properly"
statement. One participant even intimated that a turner couldn't develop
properly without restricting tool use to what was proper. Hit me

especially

because I had just had Susan Who Must Be Obeyed take some dynamic pictures
for my personal page. Among others, it shows the 1 1/2" roughing gouge,
1/2" spindle gouge, and, yes, even a "bowl" gouge working a bowl. I even
included a couple of close-ups to show the surface finish produced by the
gouges. Thirty-three percent isn't bad, I guess, but why are the others
wrong?

OK, so here's the question - did you ever develop beyond the ordinary by
following conventional wisdom? Can anyone? Is it only design that

allows

"style," or can there be personal styles of tool use?

Whatta you think, Arch?