Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default devices of unecessary complexity

Larry Jaques on Tue, 23 Sep 2014
07:19:34 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 21:27:52 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Mon, 22 Sep 2014
19:50:54 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I did drill and tap a lot of holes and learn to bend sheet
metal accurately on a manual brake.

Great. I finally got back on my little HF (Harbor Freight, not high
freq) TIG yesterday and once again repaired the steel mount bracket
for Dad's old Craftsman circular saw. I hadn't penetrated well enough
the first time and it only lasted two months of very light work. This
time, I turned the amperage down and spent some time pooling the area
so I got a good, deep puddle. What I didn't burn through the first
time looks, um, fairly good now. (no picture requests, please
Anyway, the more metalworking, plasma cutting, and TIG welding I do,
the more I like it.

I wonder what kind of solar/battery setup I'll need to continue to use
that thing once the grid goes down... Time to start looking at 240v
inverters, I guess.

The is rec.crafts.metalworking - you should be planning on the
steam powered generator setup! From Scratch! Refine your own
scratch, too!

Bbbut, I was talking about Tiggin', wholely on topic on a metalworking
group. Wouldja like to hear more about how I stuck the electrode and
welded with it still contaminated?

Ummm, no. Sorry, but I don't know enough about TIG welding to be
able to laugh at the right places. B-)

I purely do wish it had a HF start
mode, but it's a scratcher. The copper-plated filler rod helps
immensely, though.

Besides being tres cool, for something so wildly hot, steam is
totallyunsustainableandwilldrownpolarbearsinmelte dicejustaskAlgoreyup.

Use a solar power to heat the steam. Even better - cause there is
no coal involved.

Or you could make your own nuclear power plant. No carbon
emissions at all!
--
pyotr filipivich