Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default devices of unecessary complexity

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Sure they do. You can even carry on conversations with some of them.
I told more than one piece of equipment that if it didn't behave I would
scrap it for parts.

Surprising how many appear to have extra-sensory perceptionin that
regard. I just need to get close to them, intent on finding what is
wrong, and having (only to misbehave again when I leave, in many
cases)

I had an entire rack of C-band sat equipment start flashing failure
alarms. The idiot manager had just walked into the room seconds before
it started. I was in the next room when I lost video on the channel I
was checking. He was screaming, Get in here! as I came around the
corner. I looked at the dozens of alarm lights and said, I don't have
time for this crap. I gently rapped the rack with my knuckles, and
everything returned to normal. His jaw dropped. Is that how you fix
this stuff? I told him, No. I've told you that the equipment doesn't
like you, now stay out of the head end.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.