Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default devices of unecessary complexity

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Cydrome Leader wrote:
[grumble...]

Tektronix figured it out in the '50s & '60s. Slide an item out,
lift
and remove for service. Or lock the rails and rotate the chassis to
service it in place.

It was a real joy to be able to connect to a piece of equipment
from
the front of a rack, then slide it into place.

So did HP. My early-70's 8555A spectrum analyzer is a masterpiece of
both electronic and mechanical design. It even has a Magic Crystal for
a heart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YIG_sphere

Then they lost their way on the scopes with keypads and a single
control dial that took two minutes to change any setting. I have one
because it sold cheap but much preferred their Infinium with separate
knobs for each function.
-jsw