Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

On 22/09/2014 10:39, Bill wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

About Linux

The only two things I have found that are still substandard are
scanner and wifi drivers.

And audio interface drivers, especially for anything beyond just
listening, and I can't find a virtual keyboard that works properly on a
tablet PC

The audio interface problems are the main reason I don't use Linux.
Please don't suggest I should choose a different audio interface, as the
ones I use are the best I can afford. That and the Bluetooth non-support.

If you are lucky, they work. If not, you then do need to spend time
finding out the magic spells.

I needed more than magic to get the various audio mixers into any sort
of sense and working with Jack and the various other audio apps. I am
still not at all happy.

You're a few steps past me, then, in that case.

But the daughter in law who saw it for the first time yesterday picked
up and used the Ubuntu laptop that sits in the lounge for the family
when they visit, and I'm not sure she noticed it wasn't Windows.

For office work and t'Interwebs, it's good. If you can get it to talk to
the bluetooth linked 3G phone/ modem, a problem which I've now bypassed
by buying one that links to the computer using Wifi.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.