Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
Bill Sloman Bill Sloman is offline

Default Widlar's Early Treatise on Semiconductors

On 21/09/2014 12:17 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 9/20/2014 7:47 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 17:54:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:
On 9/20/2014 5:37 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 14:23:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 14:18:59 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

[snip]

Slacking off in the lab would have attracted immediate and very
unfavourable notice in either place.

Who said anything about slacking off?The labs, particularly the chem
labs, just didn't work and, even with all of the time they wasted
(under penalty of the grade) weren't long enough to finish the project
it *anything* went wrong.

Sorry, but that's the sort of argument I expect from the climate crooks
at East Anglia. Fudging data is a big no-no.

Fudging data is a big no-no, but there's absolutely no evidence that the
climate guys at East Anglia - Climategate - did anything of the sort.

The denialist propaganda machine blew a lot of smoke about it, but Fred
Pearce's "The Climate Files"

http://www.amazon.com/The-Climate-Fi.../dp/0852652291

clears them of any data-fudging. Fred Pearce didn't like the way they
went after a crooked editor at some minor climate science journal, who
published a denialist-planted paper despite it being rejected by four
referees, but that's because he's a typical UK science journalist who
knows very little about how science actually works.

I hope and expect that you guys are mostly just bragging, but either
way, it's entirely misguided.

Agreed.

With chem and physics? Not a chance. The courses were really bad
(and got worse with each one. The third semester of physics was
optics AND quantum. The curve was bimodal with 40% between 90 and
100, and 40% 20 on the exams. Tell me that this makes a good
course. They even admitted that it was a flunk-out course and didn't
really expect anyone to learn anything about either subject.

Dunno about the course. That's the prof's responsibility. How we
handle it is ours.

Absolutely. You can learn stuff even if it is less well-presented than
it might be. And semi-conductor physics wouldn't exist without a lot of
high-powered chemistry.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney