Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
John Larkin[_3_] John Larkin[_3_] is offline

Default Widlar's Early Treatise on Semiconductors

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 15:32:36 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 9/20/2014 3:20 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:08:23 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:31:23 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:26:42 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 08:44:31 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Widlar's Early Treatise on Semiconductors, so large a file to E-mail,
I put it up on my website so you can download it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/IntroToSemiconductors_EarlyWidlar.pdf

...Jim Thompson

Note fig 1.4, the military convention for current flow!

That's not the "military" convention, that's the "physics" convention.
Ask Hobbs ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The US military, and a couple of the Heald-class trade schools, taught
electron-flow convention. That messed up a lot of people.

I took physics in college, and EE courses simultaneously, and both
used the conventional current flow sign.

At MIT, in the Physics department, I took only Classical Mechanics and
Quantum Physics.

We had two semesters of general physics, taught by the Physics
department. It was classical mechanics and some electricity, up to the
point of solving simple DC circuits.

Electromagnetics was under the EE department, as were Germanium
transistors ;-)

Advanced Mechanics (and Strength of Materials) I took under the ME
department (I was in the Honors EE Program and had to take "electives"
as if I were majoring in that department).

And lots of annoying Chemistry classes :-(

Yeah, chemistry was horrible.

But great fun with 5 semesters of Calculus thru tensors.

...Jim Thompson

Only 5 semesters of math? What were you, the layout guy?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

I had about a week of calculus. Our PhD math instructor was gaga for
set theory, so spend most of the time on that. He covered calculus as
quick as he could. Our EE Electromagnetics instructor was brilliant,
lazy, and had such a thick Japanese accent that nobody could
understand him. He was also our EE lab instructor; he'd leave after 5
minutes, we'd leave after 10, and we faked all the lab reports in one
all-nighter at the end of the semester. If you know enough to fake the
lab data, you know enough.

That's when I started doing system simulations, first on an HP9100
programmable calculator, then a PDP-8, then a PDP-11. My first
close-loop controller design was for a 32,000 HP steamship, and it
behaved just like the sim. The loop was wildly nonlinear, not suited
at all to analytical solutions.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com