Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Widlar's Early Treatise on Semiconductors

On 9/20/2014 3:20 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:08:23 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:31:23 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:26:42 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 08:44:31 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Widlar's Early Treatise on Semiconductors, so large a file to E-mail,
I put it up on my website so you can download it...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/IntroToSemiconductors_EarlyWidlar.pdf

...Jim Thompson

Note fig 1.4, the military convention for current flow!

That's not the "military" convention, that's the "physics" convention.
Ask Hobbs ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The US military, and a couple of the Heald-class trade schools, taught
electron-flow convention. That messed up a lot of people.

I took physics in college, and EE courses simultaneously, and both
used the conventional current flow sign.

At MIT, in the Physics department, I took only Classical Mechanics and
Quantum Physics.

Electromagnetics was under the EE department, as were Germanium
transistors ;-)

Advanced Mechanics (and Strength of Materials) I took under the ME
department (I was in the Honors EE Program and had to take "electives"
as if I were majoring in that department).

And lots of annoying Chemistry classes :-(

But great fun with 5 semesters of Calculus thru tensors.

...Jim Thompson

Only 5 semesters of math? What were you, the layout guy?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs