Reyd Dorakeen

Default Well it seemed like a good idea...

all the way, close to 2 feet. and they were wide cracks, maybe 4 mm
accross.
Did the split go all the way down the length of the log?? Generally, the
splits only travel about 3 - 4 inches and that end can be lopped off. I
don't like quartering or even halving logs as it limits what I might want to
do with it later. You are right not to want to turn that 3 - 4 inch end
piece, unless you can use the halves.

Leif
"Reyd Dorakeen" wrote in message
mine were at least 4-5 times longer then wide, and the split went all the
way from the outside to the center. it looked pretty, but I didnt like

the
idea of giving it that much invitation to go flying around the shop.

If they are longer than the log is wide, then you can leave it whole.

For a
12" wide log, I'd want the length to be at least 16-18" long for

instance.
It'll split on the ends and you'll just trim those off when you make

your
bowl blank. However, it takes MUCH longer to dry this way rather than

just
splitting it down the middle. Splitting it down the middle (or even
quartering it if you have enough wood there to make something with the
resulting quarters) increases the chances of fewer splits/cracks/checks
than otherwise.

- Andrew

so would that be a yes or a no to leave them whole?