Paul

Default Network, Mains, Alarm and CCTV from the house to the garage

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
The CCTV part, initially was going to be 6 lengths of RG59, however I have
heard you can run CCTV over UTP?
Can I - would be a lot cheaper on the cable if I can!
If I can, can I run four cameras down one four pair cable?

I would stick with RG59 if I were you in this case, bound to give much
better results and be a lot easier in the long run. Cost should not be that
much more than Cat5 if you buy a drum rather than lengths.

If I do, as I expect, need two pipes, how far apart should they be in the
ground?
(I dont fancy digging a really wide trench!!)

Someone has already answered the 2 pipes question, so I won't duplicate, but
here is an idea to consider. The electric has to be buried to a minimum
depth as the other poster mentioned. But the cat5, alarm and RG59 are all
low voltage so there is nothing to stop you having a narrow trench, laying
the power at the correct depth, then laying the other cables a few inches
above the power. If someone puts a spade through your network/cctv you are
going to be upset, but no-one gets a shocking suprise.
(although, I am sure somone might be able to find a regulation against this,
like a really long spade that goes through your low voltage, then into the
mains, electrifies the cat5 and blows up your pc... but if you own spade
that long, then things stupid like that are bound to happen one day!)

Paul